Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Bobbie


It is with a heavy heart I write this post.  Yesterday, one of the kittens in my foster care, Bobbie, was brought in for neutering, and died after while under anesthesia, and before his actual surgery.  He never knew what hit him.  I received a call from the doctor mid day at work, and just lost it.  Poor little boy.  We won’t ever really know what happened, but he was very much loved while he was alive.  His foster mom Sue wrote a beautiful eulogy for Bobbie, even though she isn’t aware of it, after I had asked her where exactly he came from.  Sue took in a few kittens this summer on her own, with my blessing, into the rescue.

Here is what Momma Sue had to say about Bobbie:

Bobbie was trapped in a barn in Oakfield NY, Genesee County by a family friend who has trapped 15 of their own spayed/neutered barn cats. New cats are often drop offs or wander from other farms. She was trying to trap Daniel (sibling to Donald and Davey) but caught older Bobbie from another litter instead. He was not happy about it. The next day she caught Daniel and delivered them together to rescue. Bobbie and I got off on a rocky start. He was very hissy and spitting. I wanted him to have a bath to check for fleas... it did not happen. I settled for some Frontline and crated for 24 hours. At first Bobbie tried to hide. I would approach when he was sleepy and touch his ears or back. More hissing. (I laughed). Later, he would roam about the room as long as I did not look at him. Eye contact and he ran. Eventually he let me stroke him while eating, touch him while laying down then finally hold him and kiss him. Every little victory for me was one step closer to being adoptable. He was a handsome fella. Soft grey fur with white feet and chest and gorgeous green eyes. He got along with all the other fosters and loved to play, especially things with feathers.

Fly free sweet pea…  Fly free….. 



1 comment:

  1. Janine and Sue, I am so sorry about little Bobbie. He was not with you long but got to know how it feels to be loved. He'll be waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete