Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Buttons

Not a great start to my morning.  Not that anything bad happened on my route -- all was as well as can get with my 20 or so stops, where at each location, 3-8 cats are awaiting for their only meal of the day.  Breakfast time at the OK Corral.  It was raining, as it was yesterday.  The weather is so dreary here in Rochester, for the most part, during that short period when its changing from fall to winter.


SHORTY
I rescued another kitty this morning!  This grey boy was unneutered, and is at the clinic now getting neutered, shots and combo tested.  Thanks to Janessa for offering to take in one or two babies from the streets.  He was NOT happy once in the carrier after I had scruffed him and placed him gently inside.   But he calmed down once I covered him with a blanket, and went on my merry way to finish up my route from there. When I got home, I stuck my finger inside the cage and he let me rub his face.  I think he will be a sweet heart, like my Smokey was.  Can’t wait to get his picture out there to share.

SABRINA


Sabrina is doing fine at her Foster Mom Kim’s home as well.  Here is what Kim has to say:
 She is doing well. Such a doll. Loves attention, very affectionate. Allows me to hold her most of the time for several minutes. Becoming very playful. She has become very comfortable in her safe place and I am having to bring her out of the room literally inch by inch. She is afraid of the dogs and continues to be hissy with the cats. We will keep at it. Her ideal home will be one without small kids, no dogs and maybe 1 older or very laid back cat. Who ever takes her Will have allow,her settle in time, but I believe she will, and she does love people as she gets to know them

It hasn't even been 2 weeks yet, so things could really change for her yet

She has bunny fur too. So soft!


BABY BUTTONS

BUTTONS

BUTTONS
I rescued Buttons several years ago from Short Street.  I had fed her, and her babies for years.  I even had Laura Burns help me with TNR’ing her kids, when I had a shelter on Sixth Street. I was kicked out of that shelter, and moved just into the lot behind on Short Street. All the kitties followed.  That included Buttons, her son Baby Buttons, Mr. Whiskers, Big Red, Captain Jack, Millie, and a few others.  Captain Jack has since passed, and close to rescuing Baby Buttons, after I had rescued Buttons, Baby Buttons went missing.  I was heartsick over that one.  I kept putting his rescue off.

Prior to rescuing Buttons, I had noticed her chunky little body getting thinner and thinner.  It got to the point where I knew she was not well, so I rescued her.  She wound up having several teeth removed, which was the cause of her not eating. It hurt her.  She hid for a very long time in my house, and finally, the past year, she began to come out, and get closer and closer.  Recently, she had become my shadow. She started to sleep in the cozy beds I had scattered in the house, and would sleep next to my head each night.  Every morning, I feed at least four of my very old cats pureed food – baby food – Sheba pate, and two others, including Buttons, I fed Fancy Feast to, for a treat.  She would be waiting every single morning, with Fudgie, at the bottom of the steps leading to the kitchen for her food.  This morning, I placed the bowls around – one for Baylee, one for Mary Jane, one for Cookie, another for Jules (in his room), and then one for Fudgie and Buttons.  But Buttons wasn’t there.  I immediately sensed something was wrong.  We frantically looked around the house, and then, under the couch, lay Buttons.  She had gone to sleep apparently and then went straight up to heaven sometime during the night.  She died naturally I guess.  How shocking and sad it was for me to see her in this state.  I loved my Buttons, and I will miss her presence terribly.  BTW, how coincidental that Buttons came from Short Street, and Shorty was rescued from Short Street this morning.  What do they say, one dies, another is born?  Something like that?

Have a nice day.


3 comments:

  1. Dear Janine,
    I am so sorry for your loss. May it comfort you to know that you gave her many years of safety, warmth and love.
    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janine, I'm so sorry about Buttons. Thank you for rescuing her and giving her a chance to have a home and know love and security. I'll be thinking of you and praying for God's comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sorry for your loss. So wonderful that you gave her a life of caring and comfort ...

    ReplyDelete