Monday, April 20, 2015

Whispering Winds


I have some really bad windows in my bedroom - I've turned my attic into a master bedroom, it expands from one end of the house to the other, with skylight in the middle, windows at each end.  "My guy" James came over to do some odd things around the house and fixed a window I couldn't get a screen back on to since last fall, and the turn thingy to open these windows (side by side - what is that called - casement?) is stripped, so you can't open them too easily.  He 'fixed' it so that the screen is back in the window and is now open slightly, but the wind we had overnight and are being ambushed by this morning blew that sucker wide open overnight - the wind was whipping in and the curtains ablowin'.  I was too cold to get up and try to fix it - but it kept me awake for a good hour/hour and half, and by the time I finally got back to sleep, I had to get up.  3:15 a.m.  Get up girl.  Time to get moving.  If there aren't days that I absolutely do not want to get up and get going, its when I have restless sleeps like the one I had last night.  But up and at em I do.  Every day, no matter what.






I drove past the place where I rescued Peepers first thing. and there were kitties eating the very wet dry food I placed there yesterday, next to the tree by the road.  I usually stop here on my way home.  They were eating the few morsels in the bowl that were left until the wind would whip it away into foreverland.  So I stopped, got out, nearly had the door of the Jeep ripped off by the wind, and placed more food and water down, hoping the wind wouldn't scatter it before the cats were able to eat their only meal of the day, I am sure.  This is one of the locations I will place a trap tomorrow morning.


All the babies were waiting for me this morning, at most places, I startled a lot of them from a somber sleep because they couldn't hear me coming towards their shelters due to the wind and rain that was tagging along. The black kitty on Garson, the one that doesn't look too good, wasn't there this morning.  I've been trying to pill him, thinking it will help with the wound on his head, but he doesn't seem interested in eating the wet food.  Doesn't seem interested in any of the food I place that the other four kitties will gobble up as soon as i leave.  He followed me back to the road on Saturday morning.  I think he is just interested in me taking him and finding him a home.  Its heartbreaking. 

I will place a trap on Niagara tomorrow  morning also, even though I haven't seen all the kitties that I first saw a few weeks ago when I started to feed there.  I think I counted eight back then.  I've had four fixed - three pregnant females and a male.  So many more to do.  Roofy, on Central and Third, looks pretty pregnant.  I remember rescuing a pregnant cat there, was it last year? Wendy from Another Chance Pet Rescue, when the group was active, took her in and she had her babies within days of that rescue.  Roofy looks pretty big.  I am hoping to get some help if I can get a couple more appointments at the clinic this week.  I can't let any babies be born outside under my watch.  At least I have to give it my very best shot.  I can't think of the suffering these mothers have to endure during childbirth under a bush, or a porch.  Its too much to bear, so I must do my best. 

Lets not forget Elvis and Jelly, who need adopting - and the other kitties on the streets that need a home.  Please consider foster and adoption. 

Have a great day!

"Enjoy the little things in life... 
for one day you'll look back and realize 
they were the big things."

2 comments:

  1. My God , what a mission, we need more fosters, temporary housing even for the mother cats about to give birth, even fostering for say 6-8 weeks would help, or ideally till,the kittens can be de sexed. It seems all adoptions are slow moving this time of year.....but from statistics I have recently been studying, your strike rate Janime at rehoming and de sexing the cats, is in fact higher than HSUS and the like. You have none of the advantages they have of publicity and promotions, regular cash donTions, you do not have an allowance for a percentage to be euthanized so numbers are kept under control, many shelters do operate that way, it is numbers to them and they are highly regulated by those numbers, which of course, dictates just how they process the animals that come into,them . Hands down Janine, yours and some other index dang rescues I personally know of, are the best place for my money, my time, and any animal. God bless you and I am much better informed now, about rescue, and the business of it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, independent rescue.....text died !

    ReplyDelete