Friday, May 30, 2014

Lurking in the Darkness

Quick update on the fawn in my 85 year old friend Lillian's back yard - today is day four.  I spoke with a great guy out in Greece who has offered to take it if no mom is around.  We still don't know if she has been coming back to feed this week old baby, who has moved twice now in three days.  I am waiting patiently for Lillian to call me this morning to advise what's happening.  As I was driving this morning, two young deer were trying to cross 104 near Culver.  Luckily, I braked, and swerved, and watched out of my back mirror for the oncoming cars - praying they saw what I did, and sure enough, they all slowed down on this 55 mile per hour highway.  The babies jumped back over the fence into the woods.  As I drove on, with my classic rock songs blasting away, I started to cry, thinking of how many sad stories there are with deer, and their babies.  I must be in a very sensitive mood today, I hope it doesn't last.

My friend Lichi sent me these photos, taken in her back yard, some with night camera.  She lives right here in Penfield.  We forget, or at least I do, that there are foxes and coyotes, and other creatures lurking around.  I am able to view the raccoons, and the possums, but that's about it.  And I do enjoy seeing them, but not when they are stealing the kitty food.  These pictures are pretty good!







I had a breakthrough with a cat this morning, one that I've been feeding for a long time now.  He was first spotted, I think, on Penn and 4th, and then migrated to Short.  He is a beautiful grey tux.  He was limping two weeks ago, but stopped about a week ago.  I am sure it was the glass that is strewn all over the city, especially in these vacant areas.  What is it with smashing glass?  I dunno.  Anyways, as I got out of the truck this morning, he came strutting along, and got very close to me.  As I bent down to replenish the food bowls, he got closer.  I put my hand out, and he allowed me to gently stroke his head.  I snapped this picture of him before I drove away.


Amazing.  It really is, when these cats, that have been so afraid of you, yet so dependent on you, finally trust you!  They finally trust a human!  And its so hard for them to do when they have to fight and struggle to survive on these streets, where most of the folks don't care much for the cats.  If at all.  Now I need to name this little guy (and get him neutered!).  And then get HIM adopted!  :)  So many kitties out there need homes.  Please spread the word!


For those of you who don't already know, I go through 18 pounds of dry cat food feeding the homeless, sometimes a bit more, per day, 365 days a year.  A bag of Dad's is $9.99 for 18 pounds.  Add that up, and I am spending $70 per week just on dry food alone.  Then add that up times 365 days per year.  I am not sure how I've been able to do this on my little old salary from the hospital alone, but with a little help here and there, its been made a bit easy at times.  I thank you who've contributed in the past, and I thank you ahead of time to those that might want to help.  If you can help once in a while, I will continue to do the dirty work of going out there.  I also urge anyone that would like to come along and see what I do to do so now, because its actually light by the time I leave the house to do it!  :)  So you don't have to be such a wuss!  HA.  Kidding.  I know its not in everyone's blood to get up at such an ungodly hour.  That's ok.  Just think of me at least.  :)

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Pics. Look good Jay. , hope readers notice 3 rd pic has fox eating without bothering Mr Possum, how tolerant the animals are of each other :). Know what you mean about the deer and their babies with traffic, it does make me sad when I see them lying on the road...I really drive the town workers insane till they remove them from the road, and it still does not happen quickly enough for me.......xoxoxo Lichi

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't beat a tuxedo for attention grabbing good looks, especially the smokey grey, I have 2 tux,s blk and white and. A grey and white, I don't know, they just stand out among my other beautiful cats more !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Night cameras are very useful, now they are very very hard to detect and the risk of it being stolen is next to none, ours is linked to house computer, even better .

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not the time of day that bothers me...I'm the first to admit that I'm afraid...very afraid. You'll have to settle for $$ from me for the time being. :) - carol

    ReplyDelete