Thursday, April 12, 2012

Divine Intervention

Yes, it surely happened yesterday.  I had the opportunity to trap neuter return (TNR) two cats.  I have rescued so many females, all of whom were pregnant, in the past month, that I didn't have a lot of females hanging around, so I grabbed two very unneutered, intact, tough looking males for their 'cut'.  Now I knew that Angel, the little boy who laid down in the rain, sleet, snow and wind at my feet when I got out of the car every morning and rolled over for belly rubs had been in a fight or something due to the wound on his nose.  I noticed this many weeks ago, and at first told myself that it would heal.  After a while, it was getting worse, and I kept making a mental note to myself to ask around for some meds to try to give him in is food.  And anyone knowing my superior sharp mind - NOT - knows that I forget, easily, if not written down.  So, each time I kept forgetting, until the next morning when I saw Angel again!

Anyways, after getting him in my carrier, in the dark, and bringing him home, and seeing him in the light, his wound was severe.  And poor Whitey, he was as dirty as could be, but a real sweetheart.  I knew then and there, before I left for work with them waiting on my porch for transport to the clinic, that they needed some divine help.  They were too wounded, and sweet, to go back on the streets, but I was prepared to do just that, but not without begging for help first.

Another Chance Pet Rescue found a foster for both these boys.  I have to say, their group has such devoted people - they truly care for the cats of Rochester, and for each other.  I just don't know what I  would have done without them.  Their would be so many sad sad cases that I would have to witness each day if it weren't for them taking in so many pregnant and sick cats.  And their success rate at adoption of these cats is high.  They are a wonderful group.

Angel is being treated with antibiotics by his foster mom, and at the clinic they tried the best they could with a suture to close the wound on his nose.  Whitey had "excessive bleeding in his left scrotum."  So both clearly could not go back to the streets that day. 

They will both be tested for Leukemia and FIV tonight.  My only regret is that they are not tested first before going through all that they have gone through already.  We need funding at our clinics here in Rochester so that testing is provided prior to surgery.  It would be so much more cost effective for rescuers, and less stressful for the cats so please say a prayer for both.  They deserve this.  I am at an offsite class today, and a vacation day tomorrow, but I will keep you posted!  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment