Friday, May 20, 2011

Blackie











My sweet boy Blackie is gone. I brought him to the vet yesterday morning where he was tested postive for leukemia. I've been feeding Blackie for over a year now - he was just over a year old. He was very very sick when I rescued him yesterday, he had a very bad odor, the vet said could be both from his mouth, and his fur. I think he was already suffering the ravages of this disease, leukemia. He was becoming skin and bone. The spot I was feeding him at - that included Smokey #2 who I haven't seen in a month now - was a closed up restaurant on the corner of Central and Goodman - that I will now discontinue to feed at. It was a brutal location there, especially in the winter months. There was no shelter - besides the shelter I provided - from the terrible winds we get, and the mounds of snowfall. I held Blackie and said goodbye to him while the doctor gave him the shot. He was such a good boy, I will miss him terribly, and never forget him. I just wish I could understand the mindset of all the people who live there, and probably saw this cat a million times, but never took him in. I just don't know how all these people in all these neighborhoods can turn their cheek to the suffering of animals around them. In the huge universe of man and beast, bird and flower, we are all just specks of dust, with a short time to be together. Blackie had a short life, but a decent death. God Bless You Blackie.

3 comments:

  1. God bless Blackie

    and God bless you.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blackie left this world with a full belly knowing what love felt like in the arms of a beautiful person. So much more than many cats get. Thank God for you Janine.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you for easing Blackie's passing. At least he knew someone cared for him enough to provide some type of shelter and food. He would have suffered terribly in the last stages of his disease but now is at peace. Mercy is never wasted.

    ReplyDelete