Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Live or Let Die

Isn't that an old James bond movie? Now I am not patting myself on the back here, but if I didn't go out there each morning to put food, water and some sort of shelter down, there would be endless suffering from most of the cats I've been feeding. Seriously, you think about all the cats I see out there each morning, where would they get their food, there are only so many open garbage cans that they could forage through, if they can even get them open to begin with. And there is no drinkable water now, and I don't believe cats eat snow to survive. I've googled it! As far as shelter, even if they don't stay in my shelters, while they eat they don't have to have their pads on their feet exposed to ice, they can squat over a warm towel or blanket. I don't know how Smokey has survived all these years I've been feeding him completely exposed to the elements on the corner of Central and Goodman. He is sickly to begin with, but he has remained my strongest kitty. This has been the most brutal winter I can remember, it has not allowed me one day off. Think about it, every single morning I have to go out there, not even one nice warm day where the towels are not saturated from the meltdown. In the summer, at least I try to give myself a break by filling up their rations to last two days so I can at least sleep in one morning, but since this weather started last fall, not one day have I been able to give myself.

On a final note, there is a cat at my last spot, she is a calico, and she might be pregnant. I wish I had somewhere to bring her. She must get out of there. I lifted her up by her belly and tried to feel around, and she does seem full there. Help!

No comments:

Post a Comment