Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Another Rescue!

 




Its been a great week.  After many years of living on the streets, “Loren”, the kitty on Pennsylvania Avenue that I have been feeding throughout at least two winters, and three springs, is now in the safe zone.  My trapper friend Lori has diligently parked herself on the street with a drop trap for the past few days, and she got him on Monday.  He came to my porch, spent the night in the trap, and was brought to the clinic yesterday where he passed with flying colors his testing.  His eyes, I was told, was severe conjunctivitis, but he will be thoroughly checked out tomorrow by York vet made possible by a kind woman that is friend’s with my sister, through work – both teachers – and whose husband made me these huge, beautiful wooden shelters many years ago which the city has since destroyed, Deb.  Deb offered to take him after his surgery, nurse him to health for a day, bring him to vet, and then drop him off to his final foster, Kim.  I will update tomorrow after his next vet appointment.  Poor guy, he certainly is in a state of shock after all that has happened, and will happen, but here’s to hoping he will become someone’s best friend soon.  He really is a special boy.




The weather is gorgeous.  I am loving it.  The mornings are light, almost too.  I had a man stop twice now in two weeks in his car and ask if I was taking the cats from the neighborhood.  He said they needed them there to keep the rats at bay.  I told him what I do, and have been doing, and have permission from the Mayor to do it.  He seemed like a normal guy, but his second round, he told me they were bringing in cats from another city to take care of the rats.  I said, I hope they are neutered, because that is what we are trying to do.  He said no, they lose their fight when they are neutered.  Good God, that’s all we need is people like this with a mentality like that.

That’s all I have for now.  Please spay and neuter, even if its not YOUR cat.

Have a great day!


"Grow through

what you

go through."

3 comments:

  1. Silly man. My best mousers are fixed females.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry Janine! I'm sure that man was not telling the truth. The truth is that Rochester will never run out of cats now that Animal Services Director Chris Fitzgerald has put his new Human Animal Support System in place. All cats on the street now have been designated "community cats" and as such they will be denied entry into the shelter even if they are friendly cats. Fitzgerald claims his program is helping owners rehome their unwanted pets themselves. He is right! They sure are revoking them, dumping them right on the streets, not fixed, to reproduce uncontrolled. When people call looking for help they are instructed to go to the RAS website to learn how to find homes for them. They are also told that if they don't want them around, to quit feeding them. The shelter has very few cats and almost all that they admit are house pets that people have been on a waiting list to surrender. Btw, now that everything has opened up, our shelter on Verona Street remains locked so no one can walk in with an animal and also so no one can see that they have plenty of room but turn away animals every single day. This is all true. I am a former volunteer who knows the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your volunteer service at RAS and as importantly for sharing the truth with us. Keep spreading the truth!

    ReplyDelete