Thursday, May 28, 2015

The Daily Beat

Each morning I leave the house at 4 am., drive a few miles into the Beechwood section of Rochester, and sneak around behind abandoned houses, in the back of empty lots, beside homes where I have permission, to feed on average 3 cats at 16 different locations.  Some have 5, 6 and 8 cats 'living' there.  And these are the cats that I can see.  I know many more come out when I leave.

I feel like I am doing a service to this community by spaying and neutering the ones that I am able to do.  I was thinking about this because of the confrontation with Crazy Marilee the other morning. If the police had showed up, they would wonder who is crazier, but do they understand what it is that I am doing.  And that I am doing good.  Will they defend me, as long as I am not breaking the law.   I am rescuing innocent animals from the streets when I can, and I am taking the sick and dying.  I am removing the dead ones that get hit in the road.  I am doing a service for this community, yet it goes unrecognized most days. 

When I am driving home, I don't have a sense of relief, or accomplishment.  I have a sense of dread, knowing I am leaving behind some very sweet animals that deserve a home.  They deserve to be loved.  Some are so dirty and mangy and need to be spayed/neutered, others are much cleaner and sweeter since they were TNR'd years ago. 

I pull up to some shelters and the cats come running, some sniffling and sneezing. Tomorrow I will need to bring some Clavamox and slip it into their wet food - the kitties on Baldwin.  I do what I can do.  I just want to swoop them all up and bring them to the vet for wellness check - get their meds for their ailments, but then it would be way too hard to return them to the streets.

Cookie/Bella!
FYI, my little Wubby, the kitten I rescued from Ferndale and Webster has been adopted!  (not officially - yet).  Back in September, 2014, when I was fostering all those kittens!  They were from the Roberts Wesleyn College situation last year.  Which by the way, still remains a problem.  But lots of have been rescued so far.  Cookie was one of them, and she was adopted out by a sweet girl and her cute little boy Angelo, and renamed Bella.  They now want a companion, and have chosen sweet little Wubby!  I am continuing to give her eyedrops, which she HATES!  Its very difficult to do, and her little body is SO petite and fragile, I feel like I am going to break her when I have to hold her down.  But her eye is clearing up and I am hoping that maybe this weekend her new Mom will take her home!

WUBBY
I have yet to hear a report on Frisco who is at my sister's house until the weekend, and then back to me, to be readied for adoption  I hope his cuts and scrapes are healing.  Poor little guy.  A chicken bone stuck to the roof of his mouth.

FRISCO! 
Lets not forget Elvis and Jelly Bean.  I have yet to get their pictures, but if anyone wants a sweet, older kitty, these two are for you.

ELVIS!

JELLY (Bean)


Have a great day!


PS. don't forget the fundraiser!  July 18th - 1-7 pm, Creekside Inn in Rush, NY!  (Must fix starting time on Flier).  We have some great bands lined up!


"Three things in human life are important:  the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind."

1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU JANINE from me and the kitties you feed and save.

    ReplyDelete