Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Irish Eyes Are Smilin'!




 
Top o' the mornin' to ya!  Happy St. Patrick's Day!  I think I have a little Irish in me, mother's maiden name being McCann.  :)  I am supposed to wear green to work today, but I have nothing green.  Never did like the color, doesn't go well with blue eyes!  :)
 
I went to an event downtown Saturday evening and saw throngs of people lining the streets - there had been the annual St. Patrick's Day parade earlier - outside the bars were crawling with people, in every green thing a person can wear or attach to their body.  The event I went to was actually the Mayor's annual ball.  I was invited by a friend to sit at her company's table who was one of the sponsors. It was a fancy event, and fun to dress up for a couple of hours, better to attend as a guest because in my capacity at work at the hospital, I usually have work at events like that.
 
When I finally did get a chance to seek out the Mayor, I was even bold enough to bring along the front page of the newspaper that had my mug on it, just to jar her memory of when she proclaimed it to be City of Rochester Janine Wagner Day on November 14th.  The woman didn't have a clue who I was.  It didn't bother me, but I said I would call her office for an appointment to discuss the cats and said it with a sweet smile.  Ha.  That'll be the day.  I don't think our Mayor could care less about cats, really.  I am not putting her down, I just don't think its her thing.
 
The statistics alone in the image below should be enough to warrant the city to help in the population control of our cats.  I know Walt said in his comments the other day about the city won't use taxpayer money on this problem, but lets look at what we, as taxpayers, are having OUR money spent on.  Granted, we need things like our streets paved - wait a second - it took myself and neighbors FOUR years of complaints to get our pot-holed street paved - aren't we paying for that kind of stuff?  We are paying for salaries of government officials, and wait a second, didn't we just pay for that ball on Saturday night?  There are a gazillion more things that our taxes pay for, but the point is, we NEED a fund for the animals that are reproducing day after day.  To me, its cruelty at its best to sit around and do NOTHING about it. 



IF you see a cat in your neighborhood, find out about it.  Ask your neighbors.  If you live in an area that has a lot of cats outside, chances are, they are homeless.  Chances are, they are not spayed or neutered and are reproducing right under your nose.  If they have a tipped ear (the tip is cut off), that means they've already been fixed (small chance they've been in a fight and had their ear torn).  If they don't, call one of the very few rescue groups in our town, and ask for help in trapping. Get them fixed.   Help our cats.  It takes a village, right?

Have a good day.

"Better to light a candle for one lost animal than to curse the darkness of man's indifference.
Saving just one animal won't change the world,
but it surely will change the world for that one animal."

5 comments:

  1. Wow Janine! Good for you for bringing the newspaper and showing it to Lovely Warren!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk to someone at Colony Caregivers and they can give you some hints as to how they worked with the city of Canandaguia. They actualy got a grant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great informative blog today Janine, ha ha, only you my girl, would front Lovely at a function ! I like it, (too bad Obama wasnt there, eh ? ) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should have told the Mayor you were Walt Simoni's friend. Isn't Walt behind you getting your special City day? Maybe he can set up a meeting with you and her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom took your article to show Grandma this weekend and she was quite impressed! That's awesome that you brought it to the mayor.

    ReplyDelete