Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Blues!



I love the color blue.  That's the only reason for that title. :)  These are photographs taken in Greece.  I traveled to Greece in 2003 and I've never seen bluer water, or bluer skies.  Such a beautiful country because of the landscape, the sea, and the people.  I've also never seen more homeless dogs and cats in my life.  The dogs were roadkill, like we would see racoons, deer or woodchucks.  It was heartbreaking for me to travel to a countryside to admire its beauty, and see cats and dogs all over the place, starving.

I stand true on my belief - which is why I consider myself to be a rescuer - that no cat should be outdoors, and the ones I feed on the street belong in a home.  I do not see life through dark lens.  I am optimistic about life, and the sadness I see around me I feel can turn around.  I feel each of us can make a difference by one small kind gesture a day.  The poverty of people may not improve, but their lives can include small bits of happiness by the little flowers they plant, or the hanging basket they have on their porch, or a kind word.  The bleak ugly places in the city that I travel to, all can improve.  Just this morning, I pulled up to a corner lot that the grass was almost to the top of my legs, and the lawn was mowed.  Even though this is a boarded up house, it sort of looked pretty.

But for the cats, they are living their lives dodging cars - I pick up dead ones all the time, broken glass - grey tux on Short has something in his foot still, dogs - which I just saw a pit bull wandering down Parsells this morning - people that don't like them and shoot them with BB guns, kittens with their eyes infected, cats with bleeding ears due to mites.  No, this is no way for a cat to live.  I will continue to try to rescue as many as I can.

I just need help.  Financially, and your home.  I need fosters, and donations to pay for the food I feed and the medical care they need.  Thanks for spreading the word.

I ran across the following prayer - I thought it to be fitting for today's post.  Have a great day!



Buddhist Animal Blessing prayer

Buddhist animal blessing
May all sentient beings in the animal realm subject to unbearable pain in labs throughout the world be free from suffering.

May alternatives to animal experimentation and testing be used immediately.

May Bodhicitta fill the hearts of those who imprison them.

May all sentient beings from the animal realm who suffer endless days, months, years locked in tiny cages unable to move, be filled with peace and calm.

May the many billions waiting in slaughterhouse lines be free of fear.

May the hearts of those who work in abattoirs be filled with Bodhicitta so the very thought of harm is purified.

May they never kill again and may the slaughterhouse lines become immediately empty.
May no animal be afraid or depressed.

May their bodies be free of injuries, disease and illness.

May those who need homes, or who have been driven from them find shelter, plentiful food & water.

May there be liberation for those tortured for fur, entertainment or who are hunted.

May those who believe they are superior to our brother & sister animals develop perfect equanimity.

And may they realise in their hearts that all sentient beings possess Buddha nature
And they are not ours to kill or exploit.

May the many billions of land and sea dwelling sentient beings who are abused, exploited and killed due to greed, hatred and ignorance be free of suffering

May they experience complete and perfect enlightenment, through the virtue of my efforts and prayers.

1 comment:

  1. Mm, I know what you mean about country's that don't have the animal rights groups that we have here.....when. Thinking of a vacation for my familly those country's are off the list for us. I have several friends who feel the same and some of them are Vetinarians. the tourism industry would be doing them selfs a favour to support TNR and other donations to clean up that situation and get more people to visit, who wants to see suffering of a helpless animal......

    ReplyDelete