Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Cats, Rats & Demolished Houses!

It was rather warm and breezy this morning. The kind of breeze where I knew most of the paper bowls and plates I use at some/most of my spots would be blown all over the place. I have to replenish my stock of bowls and plates every two weeks. I used to go to the dollar store and get whatever bowls I could find for a buck, but those get expensive, especially with how many I would need to leave for each kitty hungrily awaiting their breakfast. At my second spot on Stout Street, the three kitties hungrily gobbled their food and as I was driving away, a rat scurried across the road to the house next door. Eeuw. Yuck. I am glad that I don’t have the compulsion to feed them too. Although they are God’s creatures too!

As I drove to my fifth spot, on Webster, the abandoned house I’ve been forced to place the food down at for lack of another sheltered spot because of the house being restored on the corner of Ferndale where they used to be sheltered and fed, I gasped as I came up it. There was a big dozer in front, and no house behind. They tore the house down, along with the carrier shelter I placed there on Sunday morning. A wave of sadness swept over me. Those poor cats. Poor little Orangie, and his gang. I went to the lot next door and placed a couple of paper bowls down under a tree in back and filled them up. Little Orangie ran up to it and started to gobble the food down. I saw one or two others, out of the usual four or five that are normally waiting. I pray they weren’t in the house when it happened and were hurt. As I was leaving I went over to the garage that belongs to this newly restored house, yet still unoccupied, and took a look (the door to the garage is kind of caved in) and saw a very large heavy board that would be a perfect start of a new shelter in the empty, city-owned lot next door. But so heavy I could not move it myself. I need help. Any takers? It would unfortunately have to be done early morning when I am out. And I need to do it quick because rain is expected tomorrow morning. I must do something by tomorrow, there is nothing sheltering these cats from the weather.

Domesticated animals are dependent on us for everything that is important in their lives: when and whether they eat or drink, when and where they sleep or relieve themselves, whether they get any affection or exercise, etc. We MUST continue to eradicate the homeless population of cats and dogs in this world. But lets first start with our own hometown, which for me is Rochester. But I can’t do it alone. I wish every single person would take a stance and accept responsibility for just one cat or dog. Get them neutered, shelter them and love them. Just one per person, minimum. That’s all I am asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment