Tuesday, January 15, 2013

365 Days A Year!

Not ever, ever, never do I not get out of bed every single day, no matter how I feel, or what kind of weather it is out there, I get up and go out and feed cats. 

It could be raining, sleeting, snowing, pouring. Knock on wood I haven’t had too many sick days in my life – I am a relatively healthy person, despite being a bit overweight, and lack of exercise. Although I must say, my legs are in decent shape because of the hour long route I take each morning, in and out of the car, walking to the shelters I have built up for these cats.

I miss those days where I could sleep a bit. That was a long long time ago. I do dream of the next time I am able to. Most people take that for granted. Try walking in my shoes, knowing there are animals waiting for you. Try staying in bed, knowing they are waiting for their meal. I dream of the day when all the animals find homes. I don’t know when that will be, but I can dream and hope for it for someday soon to happen.

There is so much controversy about feeding stray cats. Not only nationally, but I myself encounter so many mean people who think I shouldn’t be doing what I do. When I feed strays I don't JUST throw out some food. I also catch the cat, get the cat spayed or neutered at my own expense and get the cat its shots or whatever medical care it needs. Then I try to place it in a home.

I've fed strays for years and I have often not been too popular for it. I don't really know why they care. The cats don't do anything destructive. In fact, in a few places in the United States, there have even been city ordinances passed to make it a crime to feed strays. This is definitely not right. I often wonder what sort of uncaring people would pass and support these laws and how they'd like it if they were out of the street with no food or shelter.

As far as cats getting into someone's garden, I say who cares? People are the most destructive animals on the planet, but I don't see these same people whining about that. I can see where it might be annoying if a cat tears up your garden, but there ARE worse things. If this is your only real problem then you are doing very good.

These domesticated cats don't survive very well outdoors on their own without human intervention.

The best that stray cats can usually do is to eat from garbage cans. Every now and then they may find a mouse to eat, but in general most stray cats are starving. Especially during the winter.

Also, remember that it isn't the cat's fault that he or she is a stray. Often strays are cats that have been abandoned by their owners for some reason. Other times, the strays are born outdoors to other stray cats. In any case, it isn't the cat's fault that they have no home. Also, cats are intelligent animals with feelings and individual personalities and it is cruel to let them go hungry.

So, I hope this sparks something within each of us to know that it IS our responsibility to help these poor creatures, in any way we can.

Have a good day.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it is our responsibility to help these cats, not too far away in their life history I think it would be a fact, that they are a product of some person failing to de-sex, and/or abandonment. The governments make us, pick up the slack for disadvantaged humans, some that have much more ability than these kittys, to live a life with acceptance from the community, because in a civilized world, a "life" means something. These cats are asking for nothing more than the basic instinct to survive need, to be meet. Such humble askings, because of a man made problem

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't take a whole lot to set up a shelter in your yard for the cats and feed them everyday. We should all be doing this in our own neigborhoods. I have spayed/neutered at least a dozen in my neighborhood and feed and provide shelter for them. Have found homes for those that were adoptable and even some that were not! We all need to clean up our back yard so to speak and take responsibility for these helpless animals. My strays and ferals know when to come to my yard for dinner and count on me. Everyone should consider doing this, even if you can't do it on a large scale like Janine, you can do your yard, you will be surprised who will come and be greatful for a meal that you don't know is out there starving! Julie

    ReplyDelete